Monday, May 31, 2010

Camouflage Watermelon

In my recent blogging haitus, I've been learning a bit of needlecraft - knitting and crocheting (and finding that crocheting is alot easier and less frustrating!)

I've made lots and lots of scarves and most recently have been working on afghans. My first couple of afghans taught me some important lessons in what not to do when you crochet an afghan.

My first one was made in a variety of blues and greens. Started out with a skein of practice yarn in variegated blue/green. Once I got good and going on it, I thought it was going so well that it seemed a shame to pull it all out just because it was practice, so I just kept adding to it, purchasing a skein of solid colored yard for each of the colors in the variegated pattern, which amounted to 4, if I remember. So when it was all done, it ended up being a big thing with fat stripes in different complimentary colors. And though it all sort of went together color-wise, it needed a little something to tie it all together, so I added a big, fat, navy blue border to the whole thing. In the end it was pretty big, and very, very busy. And because not all of the complimentary yarns were the same brand or kind of yarn, some of it was soft, some of it was stiff, some was heavier or lighter weight. In the end I thought my first big completed afghan was quite ugly - and it was mostly BLUE to boot (and I just don't really like the color blue). But Sis liked it enough to take it home and let it be a functional eyesore in her living room, so I was happy to give it to her. (No photo provided because I really didn't like it enough to take a photo of it before it left the house.)

So when I started my second afghan, I put to use a couple of the lessons I learned from the first one: use all the same brand and weight of yarn, and really, a couple of colors is plenty. So I stocked up on 2 colors I like alot and got busy on afghan number two. The yarn I chose was called "thick and quick," an enticing name for an impatient person like, me! And it was thick, and indeed, pretty quick, too. But the important lesson I learned from this second afghan is to use an appropriate sized hook, because a hook that's too small leads to a VERY dense weave. So even though the second afghan looks pretty good, it weighs about 40 pounds. But it's very, very warm and looks OK on the chair in the living room, so I kept that one, at least for now.

So with all of this knowledge about what NOT to do when crocheting an afghan, I started a third one. This one is for YoungerSon, so I let him pick out the yarn. When I saw the yarn he picked I thought it was very cool - looks like the colors of a watermelon, I thought. But by the time I got a half dozen rows done, I realized that it looks less like a watermelon and more like camouflage (not a patten I'm particularly fond of). Even though I'm not real wild about the pattern, YoungerSon likes it alot, and I guess that's what counts. And the weight seems just about perfect for the yarn.

So I'll keep plugging away, hoping that the third time's the charm.

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

neat! We learn as we go!

DebD said...

I love this! I have tried crocheting but didnt' get far. You've inspired me to perhaps try it again this fall.

I'm glad you've come out of hiatus mode for an update.

s-p said...

Welcome back! These are cool. My mom must have knitted 200 afghans while I was growing up (and after). I might take it up when I get bored with orthographs. :)

Mimi said...

Wow! You do great work.