Saturday, July 25, 2009

This is what happens.



This is what happens when we fail to teach (at least in words, if not by example) our children that marriage is not about us, and that marriage is serious business.

This is what happens when congregations allow their temples to become rental halls.

This is what happens when we do not teach our children who God is - and how to approach him to ask for his blessing. And when we fail to instill in them any idea of what holiness is or what it means.

Things get out of hand.

Sometimes it is helpful to remember that the rites of the church are the way they are not because of some lack of creativity on the part of God's people, but because they serve a higher purpose than simply being a creative outlet.

But the church no longer knows how to say no. Like the overly permissive parent who equates love with saying yes to everything and doesn't realize until it's too late that saying yes to everything was not the most loving - or responsible - thing to do.

Christ whose bride is the Church united himself to her by suffering and dying for her. And by this Christ showed us what marriage is to be.

But that doesn't sound like much fun, does it?

8 comments:

DebD said...

So it wasn't members of the parish after all? I guess I'm relieved on one hand.

I think I got myself into hot water...I just couldn't take all my friends over at FB sharing this Video and stating how wonderful it was. I am saddened at how many Christians think it was okay. Ugh. Should sit on my hands, should sit on my hands.....

-C said...

Me, too, Deb. And when you read the comments on the YouTube video, it's sort of scary to see how many are making plans to do this at their wedding, too!

Steve M said...

This must have been *the* viral video on
Facebook because my wife showed it to me a couple of days ago. I was flabbergasted that any pastor (or congregation) would allow this in their church. I guess I could say soooo much more but I'll just get myself in trouble. Anyway, you said it all much better -- and in a much more Christian way to boot.

-C said...

Yep - it's *the* viral video.
It caught my eye because I recognized this to be the church I worked in as choir director for 15 years. And this aisle the very one I walked (respectfully!) down with my husband 15 years ago.If it hadn't been for this fact, I would have been much easier able to blow it off, like all of the other bizaar and inappropriate wedding garbage that goes on these days.

DebD said...

sigh....should have just kept my mouth shut..... talk about being the odd man out. I can't help but wonder if I would have felt the same way 10-15 years ago. Lord have mercy!

-C said...

Well, I know I wouldn't have felt any differently 10-15 years ago, but in some areas of my life, I still feel like the odd (wo)man out. Hope you don't get yourself into too much hot water with your FB friends.

Mrs. Inqvist said...

Obviously these people don't put God first and that is the case in many marriages. Those are the marriages that struggle the most and have such a high percentage of divorce. I did think the video was cute and funny, but I certainly hope that my daughter doesn't choose to do that someday.

Lucy said...

You might appreciate this post at GetReligion.org: http://www.getreligion.org/?p=15697 (I don't know how to hyperlink in these comments!)

There are some interesting comments as well.

~Sarah