Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick, Enlightener of Ireland

Having missed the first loosely-set deadline for completing his first icon, YoungerSon finished it last night just in time for the second deadline, St. Patrick's Day. The varnish is drying on it now.

He struggled with this - alot - and learned many valuable lessons. I pitched in and helped out a few times, but mostly I just started a section for him, showing him how to do it, and left him to complete the section. My friend Phyl had to bail both of us out and help with the beard (as I told our priest recently, it takes a village to paint an icon).

It is a bit different from the beautiful prototype he used, yet it has a beauty all it's own. A beauty that only comes with struggle and perseverance - with falling down and getting up, with giving up and starting again.

Though different from the more traditional icon of St. Patrick, we were both most interested to notice that it bears a little resemblance to the statue of St. Patrick from Pr. Weedon's post today.

9 comments:

Mimi said...

Wow! Your son did fantatsic.
I love that St. Patrick is holding shamrocks!

Holy St. Patrick, pray to God for us.

Emily H. said...

That's an excellent first icon! He's going to be a fine iconographer! =)

Kate said...

Beautiful. Better than most of the icons that came out of my (adult) class. Tell him I said Congratulations!

-C said...

Thanks for your comments. I'll share them with our son.

Andrea Elizabeth said...

Wow, very impressive. People are very hard to do, though I've never tried an icon.

-C said...

Andrea -
Clearly you can duplicate what you see! Might be worth a class?

Andrea Elizabeth said...

If the not too taxing opportunity presents itself!

Dwight P. said...

I think he did GREAT work! But I have this question: Where are the snakes?

-C said...

Not part of the tradition, I guess. I saw many icons of St. Patrick around St. Patrick's Day - none with snakes, tho.

I'm Irish and so of course I know the story - but it's not mentioned in the material I checked from the lives of the saints.