Monday, March 2, 2009

Food for the Fast

I decided that I'm going to try and post one Lenten recipe or food idea each week during the fast this year, as I always find them to be very helpful when others do this at this time of the year.

This week's recipe is from a new cookbook, Taste and See: Traditional, Ethnic, and Favorite Recipes. It's a Centennial cookbook published by Holy Assumption Orthodox Church of Lublin, WI. I got the cookbook last summer and this is the first recipe from the book we tried and we've made it lots of times already. Now I am not a big bean soup eater, but I have found that I really like this recipe!

This soup was our supper this first evening of the fast, served with this bread.

Bean Soup
1 lb. great northern beans
1 c. diced onions
1 c. diced celery
1 c. diced carrots
1/2 c. diced green pepper
2 T. parsley leaves
2 T. oil (we do eat oil during the fast at our house)
2 c. tomatoes
1 T. flour
1 onion, diced finely

Wash beans and put to boil in cool water for 10 minutes. In another pan, boil 2 quarts water. Strain beans, add new boiling water, add all vegetables and boil until beans are done - about 2 hours.
In frying pan, put oil and flour and fry until deep brown. Add onion and fry ten minutes. Add tomatoes and cook 10-15 minutes, mixing constantly. Add mixture into soup and mix well. If you like it a little sour, add a bit of vinegar.

1 comment:

s-p said...

This looks wonderful, especially with the bread (which I've been making, there is a bowl of dough in our fridge every week now).