Saturday, January 3, 2009

What I Don't See

This link will take you to some photos recently taken at our church by a friend of our parish, who is a talented photographer (click on the photos themselves for a very detailed view). Beauty in two forms - in icons and in photography.

From a clinical standpoint, the photos are highly educational as well as beautiful. How amazing to note the impact of a strategically placed single brush stroke in a particular color. Much of the beauty I see in these photos is also in the freedom and confidence of the painted lines (a freedom and confidence to which I aspire, but toward which I have a long way to go!) What a reflection of love for God and for the art of iconography.

Yet perhaps what I appreciate most about these photos is that they allow me to see details of icons I see - and at which I intentionally look - every week. I'm simply amazed at what I've missed. I look and I look - and yet I really don't see. In a way, these pictures serve as a bit of a metaphor for everything that I look at every day - but don't really see.

This photographer seemed to see in a single visit what I have missed at each of the hundreds of times I've been at church.

So thanks to Jeff (the photographer), and to Nick (the iconographer) and to Fr. Jonathan (who forwarded the link), for this eye-opening view.

5 comments:

William Weedon said...

How absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing that, -C! What a glorious space in which to offer worship to the All Holy Trinity!

MIchelle M. said...

Oh my goodness! Your church is lovely. I really enjoyed looking at those photos. Thanks!

Mimi said...

Wow, that is a really good lesson in the way that the art of Iconography leads to God.

Anonymous said...

Lutherans are not iconoclasts, at least officially. But I think we have lost our sense of how much beauty, carefully tended, can (not just express, but) form one's awe, reverence, confidence, and all the other emotions we want Christians to know.

I personally know from having worshiped with your congregation that walking into the space brings me into the atmosphere of worship. It's sort of like the perfect organ prelude in my congregation -- not one that is intended to show off the composer or the organist, but that draws one to communion (small "c") with God.

These pictures are fantastic as a reminder of why I have thirsted to return to Holy Trinity.

-Dwight

-C said...

"Lutherans are not iconoclasts, at least officially."

Good thing! Wait until you see your bulletin cover for Sunday!

:-)