Friday, January 30, 2009

Theology and Theosis

The older I get, the less I care about the former and the more I care about the latter. And the older I get, the more I realize how unrelated they are. And the older I get, the less inclined I am to want to talk about either one.

Here are some wise words about this from Fr. Stephen Freeman (in the midst of an exhausting - and in IMHO, fairly fruitless - theological discussion in the comments section of a recent post).

"... To pierce in knowledge to the very heart of God is not a proud thing, but a humility that few know (certainly not me). But I read the words of the humble and trust what they say as they speak out of the fullness of the Church.

I met a monk in the Holy Land, whose Orthodox monastery, since the 4th century has produced many martyrs. His statement to me, 'We are monks. We have no enemies.' That, is a Christian. But if you do not know God in such a manner, you should be careful about lecturing others about Who God is and How He is. Simply quoting the Scriptures is not an assurance of knowledge. Humility includes listening to the testimony of the saints through the ages whose lives have shown us the fullness of the reality they knew. It is to be respected..."


He's said a mouthful.

No comments: