Monday, January 19, 2009

Catching Up

It's been a busy couple of weeks and amidst my various activities, I've found little time (and OK, little desire) to post. So I'll do a little catch-all catch-up.

Stopping and Going
In the category of who got the most expensive Christmas presents this year at our house, the award goes to - our cars. We'd been driving the van for awhile assuming that the grinding we were hearing when we stopped was simply ice caught up in the wheels (it's happened before!). But it turned out that the brakes in the family van (which DearHusband drives) were completely toast! So just after Christmas we had the whole brake system replaced. Stopping is good!

My own car, which I've had for a number of years, was still maneuvering on it's original tires. I knew a year ago that they were getting pretty worn, but not wanting to replace any treads before the old ones were completely gone, I put off replacing those old tires until it was absolutely necessary. Then the snow came - and after sliding around for several weeks, I realized that it had become absolutely necessary. Going is alot easier (and safer!) now, and it is also good.

This is Your Dog on Drugs
Upon picking our dog Ollie up from the groomer recently, we were informed that he has a tumor of some sort on his abdomen. We were surprised to hear this, but not surprised that we hadn't noticed it, as our dog is very hairy. So once again we called upon our veterniarian sister-in-law to come and have a look. She advised us to give him 4 Benadryl (which he happily ate in a tablespoon of peanut butter) and then they came over for pizza, beer, cards, and a quick biopsy. He was sleepy enough that she simply had to roll him over on the living room floor and stick the needle in. She prepared a couple of glass slides and said that it looked like a simple fatty tumor, but that she'd look at the cells at work the next day and let us know. Turns out it is a simple fatty tumor - nothing to worry about, she said, as older big dogs get these alot. If it becomes troublesome in any way, either to him or to us, we're to bring him in and she'll remove it (but chances are that it will just grow right back again, as older big dogs often get a little lumpy.)

Book Release
OK, it wasn't a real book release, but our completed church cookbooks have finally arrived, and they're selling like hotcakes! It's kind of a nice little book, containing a variety of recipes which represent not only a little of the ethnicity of our little church, but which are also typical midwestern fare... "More than Jello Surpise," as our priest wrote in the book's introduction. In order to get the best pricing possible, we had to order 100 of them, which is alot for our little parish. But I'm pleased to see that folks are buying them - I'll breathe easier when the bill is paid - though we sold almost enough books in the first week to make the first of the two payments on it.

Same Time Next Year
In January, the congregation for which I work holds an annual Conference on Liturgy, inviting a guest keynote speaker and a couple of workshop presenters to spend a day in conversation about liturgy. Some friends of ours from northern Minnesota come and stay with us each year at this time so that he can attend the conference. They also use the occasion of this annual visit to shop and visit other local friends. They are our favorite houseguests to have, as they are delightful folks - and so low maintenance! They know where things are at our house and make themselves at home, requiring little of their hosts. So it was good to host them again for a few days last weekend. It's always good.

Hymn Festival
Each year Cantor Colleague and his poet-spouse present a hymn festival at my former fellowship - he plays and directs the choir, and she provides commentary on the hymns. We were delighted to attend this hymn festival yesterday afternoon, and to visit with them at our house for an informal supper afterwards. The theme of yesterday's hymn festival was Sts. Peter and Paul - it was a great hymn festival with thought-provoking commentary and creative hymn presentation - and every once in awhile it's just good to sing some of those hymns which were so formative for me. (I love this photo of my colleague, taken by my friend, Mark. On our first visit to this parish, YoungerSon, then age 5, wanted to go up to the balcony and watch him play. I told him he could go up during the postlude - after which he also got to try out the organ!).

So we come to the end of a fairly busy spell at the Transposzing house of chaos. I am blessed to have the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday off from work today. My modest goals for the day include: hanging out in my jammies with some coffee for a bit longer, giving a first go at "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day," and making dinner this evening - thinking I'll give the chef a break today, too!

6 comments:

DebD said...

I love these mix-n-match blog entries. Its fun to catch up. Enjoy your day off and I hope the bread turns out yummy.

-C said...

Well, Deb - I took my inspiration from your most recent post!

Rosko said...

Artisan Bread in 5 is a great book, and the standard boule recipe is a staple for me. I bought it before Christmas and was glad to have bread so cheap! If you drop the temp a little, and forego the water in the oven, it does well for sandwiches at aren't quite so crusty.

-C said...

Good suggestions, Rosko! I had enough success with my first attempt to try it again - I'm thinking these tips will come in handy.

Mimi said...

How much are the cookbooks? Can I buy one through you?

-C said...

sure mimi - send me an email with your mailing information, and I'll reply with specifics. (chaposz at gmail dot com).