Monday, December 29, 2008

Back to Work

I awoke on Christmas Eve morning with a sinking feeling...

In preparing all of the bulletins for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the Sunday after Christmas earlier in the week, it occurred to me as I woke up that morning that there was one hole I didn't remember filling. I remembered that on one of the drafts, there was no Agnus Dei listed during communion, and when I prepared the draft, I typed a quick note in that spot to the Cantor. The note said something like, "Hey! Whatcha gonna do about Agnus Dei? Lemme know."

I remembered writing the note on the draft, but I didn't remember replacing my note with the text that was supposed to go in that spot. Suddenly, I found myself being less bummed that I had to go to work on Christmas Eve morning, and instead I was sort of grateful I had to go. One of those bulletins needed fixing. Sure enough, when I got to work that day, I found my note to the Cantor, right there in all of the printed and folded and stuffed bulletins for the Sunday after Christmas. Oy.

I was glad for the opportunity to catch it and fix it, Christmas Eve or not.

So after a little time off when I got to work this morning, I started making a list of tasks I've got coming up this week and next. I realized as I looked at the calendar that I have 7 worship bulletins and 1 hymn festival program to prepare over the next two weeks: The Name of Jesus (1/1), Christmas 2, an Ordination bulletin for Sunday afternoon, Epiphany (1/6), a Morning Prayer and an Evening Prayer bulletin for next week's Conference on Liturgy, the Hymn Festival program for the Conference, and Baptism of Our Lord. (Feels a little like Holy Week!)

This week and next - no notes to anyone in the text of the bulletins!

7 comments:

DebD said...

that was rich. I'm glad you caught it in time.

Dixie said...

YIKES!!! Good thing you PYO (print your own) bulletin covers or you would have really been scrambling. I had a agreement cross my desk the other day where someone had done something similar leaving questions for his superior...not once but about 4 times. The sad thing is that it had been SIGNED by 3 other people (one asking the questions and his boss at the company we were going to do business with and one by a subordinate who works in my department). Needless to say there was plenty of shame to go around! Your situation was much more serious because people actually use the bulletins...where I work I don't think anyone really reads the agreements! So...glad you were spared the shame. :)

Anonymous said...

What a hoot! Imagine the chagrin if the bulletin had gone out in its original form: Ah, the giggles just come. Talk about making liturgy the work of the people: Each gets to answer in his or her own way what to do about Agnes Day (which, according to one musicologist at the U of IL, is the official British pronunciation, since the Brits don't like anyone to tell them how to pronounce things!).

Peace and joy.

Dwight

-C said...

I CAN imagine the chagrin! Visions of papers on my desk with large red marks fairly danced in my head. Some woulda giggled, but I fear that others may not have found it laughable (we worry so about our image, you know!).

I have British friends and so I can confirm that they dislike being told by an American how to pronounce anything. But what I really don't get is (and find simply laughable in it's pretentiousness - so much that I always nearly laugh at loud, even at church!) are American Episcopalians who insist on pronouncing the OT book of prophecy, "I-zah-yah."

Whatever.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but on the other hand, the British pronunciation comports more nearly with the Hebrew -- even in it's English spelling.

Now contrast that with "al-yu-min-i-um" for aluminum, and you see the simul justus et peccator even in the Blessed British!

Happy New Year, but the secular calendar only.

Dwight

-C said...

My beef isn't with the way the British pronounce it - it's with Americans pronouncing it as if they are British.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think it was Mencken who said that the British and the Americans are one people divided by a common language, right?

I rather think some of the Britishims shoud become standard: DIST-ri-bute, e.g.

Dwight