Friday, October 24, 2008

Fourth Photo Meme

Nabbed from Mimi!

The instructions: Post the 4th photo from the 4th folder of photos on your computer.

As I explained in the comments on her blog, it was never my intention to post any of the pictures from this folder - except for the little piece of one of these photos which is my blog masthead. My own thoughts in not posting them was originally to preserve the privacy of those in the photo. But it occurs to me that about everyone in this photo is already pictured somewhere else on the web, so why not?

The 4th photo from my 4th folder of photos (taken at my Chrismation with the camera on my sister's cell phone - of all the things to forget that day, we forgot our camera):

8 comments:

-C said...

Is DearHusband making the sign of the cross or just scratching his head?

ElderSon (the server) looks so young here!

DebD said...

Great photo! I think its great that it happened to be of your Chrismation.

-C said...

Interestingly ironic, I guess ...

Michelle Melania said...

What luck that you found a photo from your chrismation! I just did this meme as well :) Have a nice weekend.

Mimi said...

What luck to find this as your photo. There are no photos of my Chrismation, sadly.

Plus, it's neat to have a mental image of you!

-C said...

It is sad that there are no photos of your Chrismation. If it hadn't been for a quick-thinking sister, I wouldn't have any either ...

Emily H. said...

Ok, I'm a little slow. I just realized that your title image on your blog is a picture of your Chrismation. I have been wondering for ages what the priest in that picture was doing with that (your) hand. Would you mind filling my curiosity?

-C said...

Chrismation is like confirmation in the Orthodox Church. My church recognized my Trinitarian baptism in the Lutheran Church, and I was received by Chrismation. At Chrismation, holy oil (chrism) is applied to several of your parts, as follows:

"St. Paul says anointing with Holy Chrism establishes us in Christ, and it is from here that the Church takes its formula for this Sacrament: The Seal of the Gift of the Holy Spirit.

The anointing of the forehead signifies the sanctification of the mind, or thoughts.

The anointing of the chest signifies the sanctification of the heart, or desires.

The anointing of the eyes, ears, lips signifies the sanctification of the senses.

The anointing of the hands and feet signifies their sanctification to good works and the walk in the way of His commandments.

... Specific parts of your body were sealed with Chrism, that all your strength and abilities might be given to the service of God. “For ye were bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.” (1 Cor. 6, 20)"

From the website of the Antiochian Orthodox Church, which has the best description I could find in a hurry about the specifics of the rite.