Friday, September 5, 2008

Through a Glass Darkly

The way it looks from here ...

The RNC

  • I'm glad it's over.

  • I'm glad it was held in the other "twin" of the Twin Cities - the one where I don't work.

  • Such events, regardless of political party, do not bring out the best in people.

  • I'm glad that I can turn the news on at 10:00 tonight and actually be able to watch the news.

McCain's choice of a running mate

  • I think it's wonderful that he chose a woman as his running mate - but it would have been more helpful if he'd have chosen one who is actually qualified for the job. Being perky and spunky doesn't make her qualified. Neither does her ability to kill and dress a moose in the field. I'm not sure why she isn't just a little insulted ...

  • I think that if a person who claims to hold such high "family values" really held them, she'd have declined the nomination. It's fairly obvious that she's got her hands full at home and that her family really needs her more than the rest of the country does just now.

The OCA Financial Scandal


  • The festering boil on the bum of the OCA has been lanced, (the report of the SIC has been published). It would seem as if much of the nasty stuff has oozed out, which makes it possible for healing to begin. Thanks be to God!

  • There was nothing in this report which was a shock to me (which is actually sort of a sad commentary about how cynical I am).
  • I am sad to see the reactions of many Orthodox Christians to the report and to the news of the retirement of Metropolitan Herman. Instead of joy and relief at being given this opportunity for healing, many seem to be more interested in exacting their pound of flesh.

Meanwhile - back at the ranch ...

The Blogger

  • Last night I finished the icon of the Theotokos which I started several weeks ago during the Dormition fast. I'll write about it in a future post.
  • I still have a bunch of recipes to type. Today's my day!
  • I'm glad that the pace at work has picked up - I don't do well at biding time.

4 comments:

Philippa said...

All very good thoughts. Thanks for sharing them.

The statement about Palin is a good one and one I had not thought of.

DebD said...

I agree, very good thoughts.

you said:

I am sad to see the reactions of many Orthodox Christians to the report and to the news of the retirement of Metropolitan Herman. Instead of joy and relief at being given this opportunity for healing, many seem to be more interested in exacting their pound of flesh.

I've been staying away from those forums and I worried that this would be so. That makes me sad. Ugh. Vespers should be interesting tonight.

s-p said...

I do not involve myself in great mattters or in things too difficult for me. (Ps. 131:1) :)

Mimi said...

I agree with all the comments here - and all I can add is a hearty "Lord have Mercy"

And, whohooo on the icon.