Monday, July 28, 2008

Worth the Wait

I picked (and promptly ate) my first tomato from the garden the other day. Seems like I have waited forever for it!

I start to get hungry for summer tomatoes in the fall of the previous year - just after I have taken the old plants out. I just can't get enough of them.

With the great advances society has made in recent years, one would think that we could find a way to replicate the taste of summer tomatoes in the hot-house varieties we are forced to eat all winter and spring.

So to celebrate the ripening and harvest of my first summer tomato, I'll share this wonderful and easy recipe. It's one of our favorite things to make with fresh summer tomatoes.

Fresh Salsa (a recipe from DearHusband's brother)
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped into ¼ “ dice
¼ c. finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ c. cilantro, chopped
1 t. chopped jalapeno pepper (or more)
2 t. lemon juice
Salt, to taste

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I don't want to replicate it, I just want to enjoy it in the due season :)

Yum!

-C said...

I'm a greedy glutton - I'd love to have them in due season, and in all of the other season, too.

:-)