Saturday, June 7, 2008

In the Category of Abnormally Large Vegetation ...


the award goes to ... this really big stalk of rhubarb. (YoungerSon, approximately 5 ft. tall, graciously agreed to pose with it so you can see just how big it truly is!)

DearHusband and I made a quick stop at his cousin's house this afternoon to attend (albeit briefly) an open house in honor of their daughter's graduation. I was on the deck visiting with another of his cousins and he'd gone down to the yard to see others who were there. He came up shortly afterward and said, "Come on - you gotta see their rhubarb!" Thinking that once you've seen a rhubarb plant you've seen 'em all, I went down to the yard with him to see it anyway - and it was truly impressive.

I'm guessing that this single stalk will make an entire recipe of rhubarb slush, which is so refreshing on a hot day.

Rhubarb Slush
8 c. diced rhubarb
3 c. sugar
8 c. water
1/2 c. lemon juice
1-3 ounce pkg. strawberry jello
7-Up or Sprite (to serve)

Cook the rhubarb, sugar, water, and lemon juice until the rhubarb is tender.
Strain most of the pulp out with a wire scoop and discard, retaining the cooking liquid.
Puree remaining pulp in the cooking liquid.
Stir in the package of Jello while still hot.
Freeze, stirring every few hours. (we put the mixture in an ice cream pail)
When almost frozen solid, mash the slush with a potato masher.

To serve, fill glass 2/3 full with frozen slush, then top with 7-Up or Sprite.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Yum.

What a huge rhubarb. I had no idea they grew that big.

Funky Grampa said...

Thank You!
I spent the afternoon reading through your archives.
I've been looking for a blogroll in the OCA and its Liturgy. Your story has so many points of resonance with my own. I find it a sympathetic introduction.
For me, finding your blog is a true gift of God's Grace

-C said...

Thanks for visiting my humble blog, FG, and for your kind comments.