Saturday, May 3, 2008

"Do Not Be Unbelieving"

"Easy for Him to say," I thought as I looked at the lessons for this weekend.

Tomorrow is Thomas Sunday. Though I am planning a visit to my former fellowship tomorrow morning, it occurs to me that I could probably have picked a better day to be away from my own parish. (Thank God for the blessing of recorded sermons!)

Unlike Thomas, I've never had any trouble believing in the resurrection of Christ in all its supernatural truth. That Jesus Christ the Son of God was crucified and rose from the dead in order that we might be saved is a truth which has been drummed into my head and being for as long as I can remember. It's a given.

Too incredible? Too good to be true? Maybe - but I believe it...even without touching the hands and side of the Savior. For me, it seems, that's the easy part.

My own doubts are not about the resurrection at all, but they lie in those petty distractions in the Church which are so easy for me to forget about while I am at worship - but which are so hard for me to ignore when I am not. I speak not only of the distractions in my own church body - of which there are many - but also of the distractions which seem to be part and parcel of the reality of church life for all Christians. While the exact nature of these distractions varies from one denomination to another, all such distractions serve to divert our attention away from the truth of the resurrection.

"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed," our Savior said.

Perhaps especially blessed are those who have seen - everything - and yet continue to believe.

And maybe the most blessed of all are those who have seen and heard everything and not only continue to believe, but who, in spite of it all, are able in all they think and say and do to boldly proclaim, "My Lord and my God!"

I hope someday to be so blessed.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

So true! My Lord and my God indeed!