Friday, April 11, 2008

Quick and Easy Supper


It was a bit of a hectic week for the Transposzing family and we all landed at home hungry at about the same time late this afternoon.

There being little time to try and come up with something for supper, I took a shot in the dark and came up with this meal made of stuff we had around the house. For a last minute thing, it turned out to be pretty good!

For anyone interested, here's a sketchy recipe:

1 pound of your favorite pasta (we had penne on the shelf)
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, drained
a handful of black olives, sliced
a handful of green olives with pimientos halved or whole if they are small
a little handful of chopped fresh basil
a little handful of chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
(I'd love to have had a zuchini on hand, but alas I did not. Some chopped green or red bell pepper might have been nice, too).

Cook the pasta and drain it.
Chop the olives, basil and parsley (and zuchini and pepper, if you have them on hand!)

In a skillet or large saucepan, saute the tomatoes and (zuchini and pepper) with a little oil and salt and pepper. When they've broken up a bit, add the basil, parsley, olives. Get it all good and hot and add in the cooked pasta, tossing together and stirring until everything is hot.

Serve immediately.

On a non-fasting day, I'd be tempted to top with fresh grated parmesan cheese.

6 comments:

DebD said...

I love those last minute creations...they often turn out quite good.

Thanks for the recipe.

-C said...

Well, I am not the cook in the family, that's for sure. Normally, to have any success at all I have to follow a recipe REALLY closely.

But now that I've had one success, I just might try wingin' it again!

Poem Master 3000 said...

That's way better than my improvised lunch the other day: a sandwich made with banana peppers, onions and mustard. It was more terrible than you might imagine. Now accepting applications for a wife.

-C said...

Banana peppers, onions, and mustard?
Yikes, I'm sfraid I'd have to be pretty hungry.

If thta were my lunch, I'd take a tip from YoungerSon: dump the fixins and just eat the bread.

(That almost makes peanut butter sound palatable!)

Mimi said...

Ewwwwwww. Onion, that's icky.

Anyway, C that sounds lovely. I may whip that up this week.

-C said...

Well I hope it goes well for you, Mimi!

I was reminded while we were at the grocery store this afternoon that we have a potluck after Vespers this evening, so because we had completely forgotten about it, and since we were at the store, we picked up the ingredients we needed (with the green pepper and zuchini this time), and whipped up a batch to bring to church this evening.

We'll see how it goes!