Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Move Over, Bagels

Why do I always forget about falafel until the end of the fast? Middle Eastern food is just not what comes to mind during these seasons, I guess. (OK, what does come to mind is Timber Lodge Steak House and other such carnivorous destinations!).

But I'm glad that it usually does eventually come to mind - this chick likes chick peas! (Actually, seems I only really like them smashed or ground, in hummus and falafel - whole garbanzo beans are just another bean in my book. ho-hum).

Because I have afforded myself the luxury of taking a week of vacation this week, DearHusband and I made a trip to Abu Nadir Grocery and Deli yesterday noon for lunch, where we enjoyed a robust and delicious falafel sandwich.

I drive by Abu Nadir a couple of times most days, on my way forth and back to work. It's really just a little hole-in-the-wall - nothing to look at from the outside, that's for sure. And once inside? It's really nothing to look at either.

But the wonderful aroma ...

So - for any of my local readers (all two of you!) - you've still got a few days to hop over to St. Anthony Park neighborhood and try one! The baklava and tabbouleh were also delicious!

(While there, we picked up a package of homemade pita - which is a whole different breed of pita from that which is available at the local grocery. The boys love it!)

5 comments:

Michelle Melania said...

oh yum!! I made falafel early in Lent and forgot about them after that...

DebD said...

I love falafels! And you're right, home-made pitas are completely different. I was able to pick up falafel mix last week since it was almost Passover. They are easy to make and taste awesome dipped in hummus.

Mimi said...

I had a flafel, hummus, pita spread for dinner last night myself at a restaurant. Yum.

We eat it often during Lent, and actually, with feta, a lot outside Lent too.

-C said...

We can get falafel mix here year round, and actually made some the first week of Lent - but then, out of sight, out of mind.

So I'm glad it came to mind now this week. Perhaps we'll pop over for another one more time later in the week, too.

Good stuff. (after the fast, I want it with Tadziki (I'm not sure how to spell that, but it's the sauce they serve with gyros!).

Mimi said...

We can get it year round as well, I didn't realize it wasn't that way everywhere.