Monday, February 4, 2008

Отче Наш



To sing this at liturgy is one of my favorite things. All of the embeddables of this music that I could find out there were concert settings of this Lord's Prayer (Kedrov), like this one - and of course I couldn't find any that were in English. But that's OK, it's lovely in it's native tongue (and helpful that we know what they're singing!).

I've certainly sung in my share of choirs over the years, so I obviously have no aversion to sacred choral concert music. In fact, it's rather a passion of sorts for me. But like so much liturgical music, hearing it at liturgy, and particularly singing it in liturgy, is so different from sitting in a concert audience and listening to it. Like the difference between watching a church service on a television and worshipping. The music is at it's best and has it's true life in it's natural habitat. But it's so lovely, I'll settle for posting this.

We don't sing this setting at our church all that often, so singing it at liturgy whenever we do is a special treat for me. I think I'd like to learn to sing it in Slavonic someday.

(YoungerSon sang along in English while I was testing the link. How lucky he is to know this lovely music as a ten year old. He'll have many more years to enjoy it than I do.)

9 comments:

DebD said...

We sing this setting on occasion during DL too. It is very beautiful. I'm also someone who loves sacred choral music. However, I haven't had the chance to join a choir that does that for about 4 years. I refuse to join the choirs that insist on doing Beatles & Broadway hits to 4 part harmony.

-C said...

I think my days as a regular in an extra-curricular choir are probably overwith - part of it is just the time and commitment factor. I'm committed at the moment to other things (and having been a choir director myself, I know that commitment is a big part of the overall success of a choir).

So at this stage of my life, I'm happy to sing in the choir at church and to attend performances of local choirs. This geographic area is very rich chorally, and so there are plenty of opportunities.

And because I'm now on the consumer-end of the choral music scene, if Beatles and Broadway is what they are doing, I can simply opt out.

(Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles and I love Broadway, but I'm a purist, I guess, and would rather hear the Beatles sing the Beatles and hear Broadway while watching a muscial)

:-)

-C said...

(I did notice they fell about a half-step from beginning to end ... maybe that's why we don't do it more often :-)

Kate said...

I think it was only about a 1/4 step.

Beautiful, anyway! Share it with Eric?

-C said...

Well, when checked with the piano nearest by (which is not exactly in perfect tune, either, I'd add) it seems that it's somewhere between and half and a quarter step.

Now I'm losing my ear, too. Just as well I'm not directing a choir anymore I guess ...

Dwight P. said...

Sister, I usually about swoon whenever I play this piece from my CDs. I grew up singing Russian liturgical music (in North Dakota, from about 8th grade on -- sometimes in really bad Russian, too), so I've been prepared. But once I sang this with a choir that included a really sublime basso profundo who quietly doubled down on the bass part (when he could, an octave below the basses' notes) and really provided a firm foundation for the rest of the choir. It was beyond description. Even though it was a concert, there was a collective intake of breath by the audience before they began to applaud.

You Russian-related Christians really know how to show heaven on earth.

Thanks for the imbed. I'll play it regularly.



-Dwight

P.S. Now, how about some of that Armenian music I shared with you, eh? Or I might have to compete with you by learning this whole embedding process.

-C said...

When I was looking online for this, there was another choir singing it, too - this wa a more mature Russian group and, in fact, a bass or 2 did just as you suggest, start an octave below. Sublime sound, but the clip was only a fraction of the entire thing. I was looking for something complete. This choir takes it at about the same tempo as we do at church, too. The other couple of recordings were considerably slower (but still it was beautiful).

To embed a file is pretty easy. I'll try and drop you a couple of pointers via email soon.

jill said...

-C, I can assure you that Kedrov's "Otche Nash" does exist in an English arrangement. A couple of weeks ago, I was at a Russian wedding where this arrangement was sung. Truly gorgeous, helped along by the groom's father (bass) and uncle (contrabass) which made it very special.

-C said...

Hi, Jill -

Yes, we sing an arrangement in English at church when we sing it.

It just doesn't exist on YouTube in English, at least not that I could find.

Thanks for visiting!