Saturday, January 5, 2008

On the Feast of Theophany



The Great Blessing of The Waters at New Jerusalem Monastery

"Praise the name of the Lord" (Cristov)

Praise ye the name of the Lord
Praise Him, O ye servants of the Lord
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia
Blessed is the Lord from Zion
Who dwelleth in Jerusalem
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia

O give thanks unto the Lord
For He is good
And His mercy endureth for ever
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia

O give thanks unto the God of heaven
His mercy endureth for ever
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia


HT: Fr. Stephen Freeman

5 comments:

tigger said...

Blessed Feast to you! Thanks for popping by my blog.

Richard

Mimi said...

Blessings of the Feast!

Dwight P. said...

This is too cool for words! There are so many things going on, that I need a commentary. (I'll go back to Father Stephen's blog.)

I misread your title at first and thought this was supposed to be IN Jerusalem, and all I could think of is "my God! global warming is worse than we thought."

Then, toward the end, I realize that there's an Orthodox Polar Bear Club! Honestly, what more?

I kept waiting for the water droplets of the asperges to freeze midair, but I was disappointed on that.

Lutheranism can't compete!

Dwight P. said...

Sorry, don't mean to crowd the comments, but I meant to say that I thought perhaps the neatest part of the whole thing was the intincting of the crucifix into the pond/lake/stream/whatever. That image will be with me for a while. What an eye-opener!

Are there Orthodox rites for renewing or newly blessing crucifixes or icons or such this way?

-C said...

Isn't it a moving little vid?

I can't speak with authority, of course, but I think there are rites for blessing lots and lots of things. The icon that I wrote in my recent class was blessed with water and prayers after liturgy this past Sunday.

But, I think you might have things a little backward? It is not the water that's blessing the cross ... but as I understand it, it's the cross that is blessing the water, which then becomes a blessing to all. That's why folks are filling up their jugs and taking a dip in the newly blessed water.

Doesn't it just make you want to jump in?

-C