Monday, January 21, 2008

Generation Orthodox?

I stumbled upon a website where you can purchase "Orthodox gear." (t-shirts, bumper stickers, coffee mugs, etc.). I looked at all of the things which were for sale and wasn't particularly drawn to any of it, but this one image in particular I found a little troubling: The "Generation Orthodox" t-shirt with 4 fists raised in the air.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but with all of the incredibly rich and beautiful visual imagery that Orthodox Christianity already has, why this?

What does this image suggest which relates to any truth about Orthodox Christianity? Is it a power thing (it sorta reminds me of the old "Black Power" t-shirts of the late 60s and early 70s - which, of course, I'm just barely able to remember). A pride thing?

If anyone can shed a little light on this for this simple Christian, I'm all ears.

6 comments:

DebD said...

Wow! I used to think that the Death to the World stuff was in your face Orthodoxy, but this one beats that. You're sure its Eastern Orthodox gear??

I do find it rather anti-Orthodox, but maybe that's because I'm an old-fogey. I guess I should ask my 20something daughter.

-C said...

Yup, it's an Eastern Orthodox site.

On the positive side, I am glad to see that 10% of the proceeds from the sale of items go to Orthodox Missions organizations (most of which I recognize).

But I guess I'm an old fogey, too. I don't think I'd want either of our sons to wear this shirt.

Poem Master 3000 said...

A closed fist punching towards heaven? Or maybe they're clinging for dear life to their blessed bread. I think I'll save my money for icons.

Aren't Orthodox T-shirts and bumperstickers just advertisements for something that can't be bought?

-C said...

"Aren't Orthodox T-shirts and bumperstickers just advertisements for something that can't be bought?"

Wow, Matt. Exactly the issue. And so eloquently phrased, too. You really are a PoemMaster - maybe even a 5000! :-)

emily said...

Even as someone who probably would wear and buy Orthodox 'gear', that just seems...strange. Does not at all equate in my mind with Orthodoxy.

-C said...

Well, "gear?" I own a prayer rope, and I have a little Orthodox cross on the passenger side visor in my car - but is that "gear?" I think of them more as tools, but whatever.

I just don't believe that the Church was ever a thing intended to be marketed, I guess.

Lord, have mercy.