Monday, December 17, 2007

Principals of Iconography - Class #6

This afternoon was our final session in the iconography class I've been taking this fall. We pretty much finished our icons, though the window is still open if we wish to touch up our work.

Today we finished blending the colors in the flesh areas, added small white lines (called "assist," she said) in various places on the flesh to help create dimension, added gold leaf to the nimbus of the father figure, and then spent awhile talking about our experience of the class.

So here's before and after, the last session of the iconography class. Before class today:



And at the end of class today:



Am I done with mine? I think I am - there are things I might like to alter, things I think I might do again better, things I'd change a bit - but I fear making it worse by messing with it. At the end of the day, it is what it is.

I have several observations and thoughts about the entire experience, and will attempt to form some cohesive thoughts about it and address at least some of them in an upcoming post.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Wow! It's beautiful. Thank you for bringing us along on the process.

Kate said...

Brava! Well done!

Emily H. said...

Will you have it blessed?

-C said...

It needs a coat of varnish first, but then I will take it to church and have it blessed, at the suggestion of my priest.