Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Good Salad Recipe for a Sunday in the Advent Fast


... when oil is allowed.

BASMATI AND WILD RICE SALAD
(from Fresh and Fast Vegan Pleasures by Amanda Grant)

I personally thought this salad was a little heavy on the horseradish, but several from church, including DearHusband, disagreed. Also note that if you leave the salad sit for any length of time the rice turns a bit pink from the beets – not that there’s anything wrong with that…

10 T. (5 oz.) basmati rice (I used brown basmati)
4 T. (2 oz.) wild rice
7 radishes, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips (I used a half a pepper)
2 medium sized cooked beets, cut into small chunks
1 red onion, sliced (I used half an onion)
large handful of fresh chives, finely chopped (I used parsley because we had it on hand)

Dressing
4 T. white wine vinegar
2 T. grated horseradish root
1 squirt of whole grain mustard (I used smooth dijon)
1 t. turbinado sugar ("Sugar in the Raw")
1 t. sea salt
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
4 T. extra virgin olive oil

Cook the rices according to the package instructions. Let cool, then transfer to a serving bowl.
Meanwhile, make the dressing - put all ingredients in a jar with tight fitting lid and shake vigorously until thoroughly blended.

Add the radishes, red pepper, beets and onion to the rice and mix well. Scatter the fresh chives (or parsley) over the top.

Pour the dressing over the rice mixture. Mix well, and serve.

The recipe says it serves 4, but I'd estimate it serves a lot more than 4. I doubled this recipe for the potluck at church and it made a very large bowlful.

Don't beets rock?

Heck, could we all not use a fresh fasting recipe or two? I'd like to start a meme (never done that, you know!). So for this first attempt, I'll tag Dixie, Mimi, and Deb. If you want to play, simply post a favorite fasting recipe to your blog and tag a couple of others to play along. If you don't want to play, the Transposzing family will stick with the same old tried and true fasting recipes. But remember, Lent is coming and such a meme might just come in handy later, if not sooner.

6 comments:

Mimi said...

Ooooh, that looks good. We get a lot of beets in our CSA share during the summer.

I'd love to post a recipe, I'll probably do our squash soup, which we had yesterday, and I have in my lunch box today.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

OOH, thanks! I will definitely try this!

Anastasia

DebD said...

Great idea! I will put my contribution up soon.

-C said...

Mimi and Deb - I will look forward to seeing what you post.

Anastasia - play along if you like!

DebD said...

I've put my recipes up (I did 2).

Here

Enjoy!

-C said...

BONUS! Just in time for our parish's monthly potluck -