Saturday, November 10, 2007

Prodigal Child

No, I haven’t prepared a meditation on the meaning of this parable from the Gospel of Luke. But in preparation for my continuing work on the icon of this parable, I have spent a bit of time this week reading from many sources (and hearing) various sermons and essays on the parable and thinking about it quite a bit.

As I consider what I’ve read and what I’ve heard, I realize that at different times in my life I have seen myself in all of the players of this parable to some degree: the prodigal, the older brother, the father, even in the friends of the younger son who come to celebrate and enjoy a serving or two of fatted calf at the return of their friend.

But it seems that in the characters of the two sons in particular, I find myself in a revolving door of identification with them. I am, from day to day - or even hour to hour - both of these characters ...

No comments: