Friday, October 26, 2007

Big "Harry" Deal


So Dumbledore is gay.

Big deal.

(Outraged? Disappointed? Sad? Well, this is what happens when we take a piece of pop fictional literature and try to make of it some sort of metaphor for our faith. It isn't, and now we're just so disappointed. Dumbledore isn't Jesus Christ or God - and his creator is not a Gospel writer - Go figure.)

I've been reading with confusion how "sad" many Orthodox bloggers are - even some bloggers I greatly respect - about why Rowling needed to say now that she envisioned Dumbledore to be gay. How this statement of hers (made OUTSIDE the pages of the actual books) contributes to the loss of innocence in our children. To this I must ask why, if some are so concerned with maintaining the innocence of their children, they even let them read the books in the first place? They are full of much darkness and evil. Seems this non-sexual evil is somehow OK for our kids - but the notion of a gay character is not?

Good grief.

I have previously stated that I've never hopped on the bandwagon of looking for holiness in Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc. - and I don't. Neither do I look to these works of fiction to somehow explain or portray real truths or to change my life. It's fiction - and that's all it is. Entertainment hyped by the media.

But in the little that I have read of Harry Potter, I found Dumbledore to be the noblest of all the characters: kind, wise, loving, and self-giving. But now his creator has outed him ... and yet it seems that I feel the same way about him.

I told ElderSon (age 13) last night about Rowling's grand proclamation (or slip of the lip, depending upon who you talk to). He was my family's big Harry Potter fan in his elementary school years. Of course, he'd already heard (he does ride the school bus!). ElderSon's response to this breaking news was, "So?"

My sentiments exactly.

7 comments:

Mimi said...

I'm in the "so" camp as well. Shrugs.

Poem Master 3000 said...

Does elder son like LOTR?

-C said...

ElderSon is a hopper-on-the-bandwagoner, which is to say that if something is popular and receiving alot of attention, he wants to be a part of it. (we understand that this is not always a good thing, and try to help him not go overboard with stuff). So when he was little and Harry Potter was all the rage - he made it part of his rage, too. When the HP fervor died down, it predictably died down for him.

The LOTR books are on our bookshelf, but I think he's not read them (because you see, they were all the rage when I was a kid! Come to think of it, though, he went through a brief Star Wars thing - and that was popular when I was in college...).

In any case, when the LOTR movie first came out a few years ago, he discovered the LOTR books on the shelf, but never cracked one, I don't think.

Anonymous said...

Duh. Whatever. So? Amen.

dash

-C said...

Yes. Far as I'm concerned, his response was perfect.

Lutheran Lucciola said...

The Harry Potter thing always leaves me with a "who cares" response, too.
With the magical thing, many people were asking me how I felt about the books. To be honest, I just didn't get all bent out of shape about it. I told them to, I don't know, keep parenting their kid the way they do about everything else.

I feel the same way about this "issue". Who cares.

-C said...

I think there's a huge difference between magic and mystery, and that lots of folks have gotten them confused.

Whatever the deal with Dumbledore is, whether he's gay or straight, Fr. Stephen hit the nail on the head: he doesn't exist in the real world.

While this should nullify the real problem, sadly, I don't think it does.

Thanks for visiting! I drop by your blog from time to time and look forward to reading more of it.