Saturday, October 6, 2007

Another Home Remedy


...this time from the Russians!

Two adolescent boys - socks + leather tennis shoes = incredibly stinky sneakers. Incredibly.

So stinky, in fact, that we often cannot stand to be in the same house with the shoes. This morning I banished all of the smelly shoes to the deck (they spend a fair amount of time out there anyway!) and I coated the insides of all of the offending shoes with deodorizing powder and left them sit in the sun all afternoon.

At the end of the afternoon, they still stunk. Except that then they smelled like stinky shoes AND medicinal powder. Hard to believe there could be a worse smell - but this was worse.

So, I thought, if Google worked once, perhaps it'll work again! So I did a search on "remedy for stinky shoes."

Oh, there were lots of remedies out there, some fairly unbelieveable. But one recommendation was to spray the inside of the shoes with vodka. When I mentioned this to DearHusband, he said he remembered that the costumes person from our local community theatre recommended a solution of 1 part vodka to 1 part water for old musty, smelly costumes. Well, we both knew that 50% strength would never cut it for these reeking shoes, so we poured some cheap vodka - straight - in a spray bottle and applied it quite generously.

Now, almost 3 hours later, all sneakers are completely odor free...and we have some VERY happy shoes.

(Never did think to try Windex, though!)

4 comments:

Michelle Melania said...

Wow, I will have to remember that!

Mimi said...

Ooooh, I have stinky boy shoes too, thanks!

Margi said...

I recall that where my Scottish grannie used vinegar in her homemade 'remedies' my Russian one used vodka.

-C said...

Hmmm - I wonder if vodka works to clean the coffee maker, too ...