Sunday, September 9, 2007

Pascha Project


This is a picture of the little cloth that we've used in our Pascha basket each year. Dear Husband bought it many years before we married - probably right after he became Orthodox - and has used it in his basket every year since then. This cloth is a print of a Ukrainian cross stitch pattern and this past year at Pascha I took a really good look at it and thought how cool it would be to make a real cross stitched basket cover myself. I'd never done cross stitch before - but how hard could it be?

So this year right after Pascha, I went over to the Ukrainian Gift Shop, a local store which mostly sells supplies for Ukrainian egg decorating (we go there for this reason many times each Lent!) I knew they had a few supplies for other Ukrainian crafts, too. They had lots of cloths like the one I was interested in - and they were gorgeous, which was inspiring! So I bought a little book with individual Ukrainian egg patterns. But I have no pattern for whole piece and am sort of winging it with alot of help from this book and some books I got from the library.


How hard can it be? Well, it's not all that hard - it just takes a very long time. Now I have done a bunch of work on this little project - but I have LOTS more to do. I started right after Pascha last year and have worked on it on an off. I go in spurts, it seems - working on it several evenings in a row, then I stop for whatever reason for a couple of weeks, then pick it back up again. Even just the part that I have done is far from perfect, but it's actually turning out alot better than I thought it would.

I'm guessing it won't be done so that we can use it this coming Pascha - which is OK. I told my family that my goal was to have it completed by Pascha 2017 (don't you love a realistic goal?).

This should keep me out of trouble for at least awhile - if my eyes hold out that long!

If I make measurable progress in coming months, I'll post an updated shot.

5 comments:

Dixie said...

What a worthy project...and should be fun...and if not fun, at least rewarding when you have the finished product.

A little quadrille paper and a quick study of the cross stitching method and you actually could have this done by Pascha 2008!

In the Greek tradition--at least at my parish--we do not do this cloth and basket thing...I guess. I haven't seen it yet. I like it!

-C said...

Ha!
Well, perhaps you could make it part of your tradition by changing the text to "Christos Anesti" and using a nice cross on it instead of the Ukrainian egg ...

It is more fun at some times than at other times (like when I have made a mistake and have to rip some out) - but rewarding, yes. I am a little impatient however, and so for me it's not truly rewarding until it's done. So perhaps in this way it is good exercise for me.
-C

Mimi said...

That is very much something I've kicked around doing one Lent, thank you for the link. I'm so jealous the store is close to you - I could see shopping there often!

-C said...

Well, the project is coming along slowly, but I know that I'll abandon it during Lent and pick up Ukrainian eggs - which I look forward to all year!

Having the store so close is wonderful, but perhaps a bit too convenient ...

-C

Matt said...

very cool!