Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Sunday Morning Headache


I didn't have it today!
Or last Sunday!!
Thanks be to God!!!

This Orthodox newbie suffers most Sunday mornings from a different kind of convertitis - the caffeine withdrawal headache.

Anna from church told me that she used to suffer from nasty caffeine withdrawal headaches on Sunday mornings, too, but only for a short while after she became Orthodox. She said that one Sunday morning they just stopped - and she hasn't had a Sunday morning headache for many years. She said it's a grace given to her by God, and she said she hoped that soon I would be afforded the same grace. Maybe I have been! (To not have one for the past two weeks has certainly been a blessing!)

Perhaps caffeine junkie Orthodox women like me should consider this head covering for Sunday liturgies. I'm guessing, though, that unless I removed the grain and replaced it with very finely ground french roast or a nice espresso so that it could be absorbed via the scalp, it wouldn't really do any good.

Might just be easier to cut back on the coffee Monday through Saturday.

7 comments:

Poem Master 3000 said...

Good for you if you are trying to cut back, though there are worse addictions, to be sure.

-C said...

Well, caffeine is not the worst of my addictions ...

Dixie said...

LOL! I can so relate to this. I went through my Chrismation in a daze. But I don't think it was because I was so filled with the Holy Spirit but it was because I didn't have my coffee that morning and couldn't wake up!!! I have to admit my coffee headaches, as well as that hazy daze I used to experience, are just a memory now. This morning after the liturgy...I didn't even think to go get a cup of coffee...but I did have a couple of cups this afternoon!

Anonymous said...

Ah! The Wonder Cap! It will come in especially handy to "keep your head warm when using your outdoor spa."

-Dash

-C said...

Well, we did have a hot tub for awhile - but its gone now... and I'm not complaining.

-C

Mimi said...

You know what has helped me immensely is to drink a lot of water on Saturday, so I don't get dehydrated on Sunday morning. That, and a glass of water after my cup of coffee after Liturgy.

-C said...

Dear Husband suggested this, too - and I tried it. It actually worked once, but for many, many weeks after that it didn't work.
I've continued to give it the old college try every Saturday night, tho - perhaps this is what has helped in recent weeks.

Thanks! I'm going to stick with that plan!