Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Confessions of a Convert


Here are a few:

As a southpaw, I have caught myself more than once making the sign of the cross with my left hand (though this hasn’t happened recently, thank God!)

If I am not very careful, “...and the Son” still falls out of my mouth when I say the Creed at Liturgy (I noticed one other former Lutheran who stands near me in the choir smirk when this happened once – it probably horrified the others who were near enough to hear).

Seeing our sons serve as acolytes at liturgy always chokes me up a little.

I don’t like peanut butter ... or kulich (the "kulich" in our Pascha basket is always really banana bread in disguise).

I do not share the fascination common among many Orthodox Christians with with Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Harry Potter, or other such fantasy literature or cinema.

I would like to get to a place where I am not so self-conscious about everything I say, do, think, and eat. That is to say, I would like to get to a place where the things I say, do, think, and eat are automatically the right things. Perhaps that will happen some day – but I’m fairly confident it won’t be any time soon.

I do miss singing Lutheran hymns, but not as much as I thought I would. And on the occasions when I do worship with Lutherans, I now find myself wanting to sit on my hands – and yet feeling sort of weird about even sitting at all.

I have reason to believe that several of my siblings don’t know I’m Orthodox. And I have even more reason to believe that most of those same siblings wouldn’t really care if they did know (so why confuse them?)

I keep a little tiny prayer rope in my car for use in traffic jams.

I think that several non-Orthodox Christians I know would make much better Orthodox Christians than I am.

11 comments:

Dixie said...

Hey -C, I stole your idea about Convert Confessions (What a great one!) and put mine up on my blog. I am so with you on the LOTR, Star Trek and Harry Potter thing. And the self-consciousness. I can't wait until Orthodoxy becomes more a part of who I am...but I think that takes time...or else I am a candiate for remedial Orthodoxy! Likewise, my husband would be a far, far better Orthodox than I could hope to be. Oh well, it is good that his example is so close.

Thanks much for this!

Poem Master 3000 said...

Fun to read! What kinds of characteristics make you think someone would be a good Orthodox Christian?

-C said...

Most of the characteristics that I don't have.

Poem Master 3000 said...

That's what prompted my question. I want what they have!

-C said...

Me, too.

Michelle Melania said...

I found you via mamajuliana and loved this post. I think I will copy Dixie and do the same on my blog. What a great idea.

I can completely relate to the last statement. But these are the same people that probably don't even realize we are not Orthodox (we were just chrismated at Pascha).

I really like you blog and would love to add you to my blogroll. Leave me a comment on my blog if that would be ok with you. Thanks. And I am definitely going to do a "Confessions of a Convert" on my blog as well!

Michelle Melania said...

Feel free to add me as well!

DebD said...

Its nice to find another Orthodox blogger! I found you through Dixie. I definitely agree with the last one (and several others).

I've posted mine at my blog and I plan on adding you to my Bloglines feed to keep up.

Knancy said...

Great post! I found you through Dixie's blog. I am an Orthodox catechumen (Antiochian)and I can relate! However I confess.....I'm a Potter-head. Star Trek, not so much.

-C said...

Well - I didn't mean by this post to start something. But I'm glad you're all having a good time with it.
:-)

Matt said...

"I think that several non-Orthodox Christians I know would make much better Orthodox Christians than I am."


Me too.